APPLICATION PERIOD OPENS MONDAY, FEB. 8, FOR FY 2020 STAFFING FOR ADEQUATE FIRE AND EMERGENCY RESPONSE (SAFER) GRANT PROGRAM
The FY 2020 SAFER application period will open on Monday, February 8, at 8 a.m. ET and will close on Friday, March 12, at 5 p.m. ET.
Start planning your FY 2020 SAFER grant application now by reviewing the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) and application guidance materials. These materials were produced specifically to help potential applicants begin to plan their 2020 grant applications ahead of the application period. These documents can be viewed on the SAFER Program website at FY 2020 SAFER Application Guidance Materials and/or downloaded to your computer:
- Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)
- Self-Evaluation – Hiring of Firefighters
- Career, combination and volunteer fire departments
- Self-Evaluation – Recruitment and Retention – Fire Departments
- Combination and volunteer fire departments
- Self-Evaluation – Recruitment and Retention – Interest Organizations
- National, State, Local, or Tribal Volunteer Firefighters Interest Organizations
- SAFER Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- FEMA GO Account Creation User Guide
- Applicant Checklist
- This checklist will help you prepare to answer questions within the grant application.
- Recruitment and Retention – Request Details Description Instructions
- This document will provide Recruitment and Retention applicants with a list of the categories and sub-category available in the application as well as information on the level of details needed for each budget line item.
Fire Grants Help Desk: If you have questions about the guidance materials listed above, call or email the Fire Grants Help Desk. The toll-free number is 1-866-274-0960; the e-mail address is for questions is firstname.lastname@example.org.The Fire Grants Help Desk is open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. ET.
FY 2020 SAFER LIVE WEBINARS
FEMA will host live Adobe Connect webinars to provide an overview of the FY 2020 SAFER grant program. The presentations will outline important information and reminders about cost share requirements, program priorities, eligible costs, how to navigate the grant application, and tips for preparing a SAFER application. FEMA Preparedness Officers will be available to answer your questions.
SAFER Webinar Schedule:
|Topic||Day of Week||Date||Time||Conference Line (300 lines max)|
|FY 2020 SAFER Recruitment and Retention Activity||Tuesday||02/09/2021||1- 3 pm. ET||800-320-4330 Conference Code: 849044|
|FY 2020 SAFER Hiring of Firefighters Activity||Wednesday||02/10/2021||1- 3 pm. ET||800-320-4330 Conference Code: 849044|
|FY 2020 SAFER Recruitment and Retention Activity||Wednesday||02/17/2021||1- 3 pm. ET||800-320-4330 Conference Code: 849044|
|FY 2020 SAFER Hiring of Firefighters Activity||Thursday||02/18/2021||1- 3 pm. ET||800-320-4330 Conference Code: 849044|
|FY 2020 SAFER Recruitment and Retention Activity||Tuesday||02/23/2021||1- 3 pm. ET||800-320-4330 Conference Code: 849044|
|FY 2020 SAFER Hiring of Firefighters Activity||Thursday||2/25/2021||1 – 3 pm. ET||800-320-4330 Conference Code: 849044|
Live Webinars: Webinar sessions will be broadcast using an Adobe Connect webinar link. We suggest that you save this link to your web browser’s favorites. The Adobe Connect webinar link can be found at https://fema.connectsolutions.com/fy20saferwebinar/
To access the webinar, follow these steps:
- Click on the webinar link;
- Select “enter as a guest” and provide your name and your department’s name. Click on enter the room;
- Agree to the terms of the Adobe Connect system, click on “OK”.
If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before, you may test your connection and audio at https://fema.connectsolutions.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm.
The online SAFER grant application is available through the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program’s FEMA GO (FEMA Grants Outcomes) application portal at https://go.fema.gov.
All users must have their own FEMA GO account. Each account is specific to the authorized user and must not be shared with other personnel. A FEMA GO Account Creation User Guide can be viewed on the AFG Program website or downloaded to your computer.
Web Browser Information
FEMA GO will only support the most recent major release of the following browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari
- Microsoft Edge
Users who attempt to use tablet type devices or other browsers may encounter issues with using FEMA GO.
SAM.GOV REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED TO APPLY AND RECEIVE GRANTS
All eligible applicants must be registered and active in the System for Award Management (SAM) before you can start an application. Per 2 CFR § 25.205, FEMA may not make an award to an entity until the entity has complied with the requirements to provide a valid DUNS number and maintain an active SAM.gov registration with current information. To register, or validate your SAM.gov information, please visit https://www.sam.gov/SAM/.
SAM.gov Registration Tips:
Please ensure the following items are current in SAM and the DUNS number used in SAM is the same one you use for all FEMA applications:
- Organization’s name
- Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS)
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Banking information – type of account (checking or saving), routing number, and account number
The above information should be consistent throughout all registration documents.
Many websites may look official in appearance but are not. As a reminder, registration in the SAM.gov is FREE.
SAM.gov registration is only active for one year and must be renewed annually.
Should you need assistance with your SAM.gov account, there are several ways to get help:
- Submit your SAM.gov question online to the Federal Service Help Desk at https://www.fsd.gov/fsd-gov/home.do.
- Call the Federal Service Help Desk toll free at (866) 606-8220 open Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.
- Quick Start Guides for Grant Registrations and SAM Video Tutorial for New Applicants are tools created by the General Services Administration to assist those registering with the System for Award Management (SAM).
If you have questions or concerns about your SAM.gov registration, please contact the Federal Support desk at https://www.fsd.gov/fsd-gov/home.do.
Submitting Preparer Information
FEMA requires that all applicants identify any individual or organization that assisted with the development, preparation, or review of the application to include drafting or writing the narrative and budget, whether that person, entity, or agent is compensated or not and whether the assistance took place prior to submitting the application. Please ensure that this information is accurate at the time of submission. As a reminder, all applicants must attest that all information contained within the application, including preparer information, to be true, complete, and accurate to the best of your knowledge. If you contract with a grant writer, and they either advise you to not list them in the preparer information section of the application, or refuse to be listed, please notify the SAFER program office.
Want the most up-to-date information on FEMA Grant programs? Follow us on Twitter @FEMAGrants.
SHARE YOUR SUCCESS STORY