The FY 2020 Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) application period closes at 5 p.m. ET this Friday, March 12, 2021.
There is still plenty of time to complete and submit your application. Review the FY 2020 SAFER application guidance material on the SAFER Program website at FY 2020 SAFER Application Guidance Materials and/or downloaded to your computer and apply today.
APPLICATION SUBMITTAL INFORMATION
Adding Secondary Point of Contact
The application must be electronically signed and submitted by an individual who is assigned the user role of Authorized Organization Representative (AOR) in the FEMA Grants Outcomes (FEMA GO) system.
The AOR that submits the application will automatically become the Primary Point of Contact (POC) for the grant application.
Applicants must add a secondary POC to the grant application and the secondary POC must be someone other than the AOR who is submitting the application.
Submitting the Application
The submission of your grant application in FEMA GO is a two-step process.
|Step 1:||As you input information into your grant application in FEMA GO, the status of your application will read “Pending submission.”|
|After all required information is entered, you will see a button labeled “Submit for signature” in the Review Application section. Green checkmarks listed for every section of the application signifies all required information is entered correctly.|
|Clicking the “Submit for signature” button moves the application to the second, and final step, of the submission process.|
|Step 2:||When the application moves to this step, the application status will read “Pending AOR Signature.” The application must be electronically signed by an individual who is assigned the FEMA GO user role of AOR for the submitting organization. An organization can have multiple people assigned with the user role of AOR.|
|If you are assigned the role of AOR for your organization, you will have the ability to continue the application and proceed with signing/submitting.|
|If you are not assigned the role of AOR, such as “Grant Writer”, you will not be able to sign and submit the application. In such cases, you must coordinate with a person assigned the role of AOR in the submitting organization. A person assigned as an AOR must log into FEMA GO and complete the final signature submission steps.|
|There are several assurances and certifications that must be completed and signed by the AOR in the “Submit application” process. The “Submit” button will become active once the AOR has completed all required signatures on the Submit Application page.|
|Click the “Submit” button to submit your application to FEMA.|
|Once the AOR clicks the ‘Submit’ button, the screen will refresh, and the status of the application will read “Submitted to FEMA”. The application is now submitted. The AOR should receive an email from the FEMA GO system, sent from email@example.com, confirming the submission. Please check “Spam” or “Junk” folders if the email is not received shortly after successful submission.|
If you need further assistance with the submittal of your application, or for a step-by-step walkthrough of the above information, call or e-mail the SAFER Help Desk. The toll-free number is 1-866-274-0960; the e-mail address for questions is firstname.lastname@example.org. The SAFER Help Desk is open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. ET.
APPLICATION REVIEW CHECKLIST
- Proofread your application: Mistakes or errors on your SAFER application can disqualify your organization for grant award consideration.
- Remove any “filler” or placeholder text and update each application field with your final answer.
- Does your narrative explain your organizations needs in a way that someone would easily understand? Have you compared your narrative against the Self Evaluation Guides?
- Make sure that you have described your organization’s needs in your voice. Do not use boilerplate language or copy from vendors, manufacturers, other grant applicants, etc.
- Check the quantities and costs for all budgeted line items that you are requesting and confirm that there are no discrepancies between the Request Details section of the application and the Narrative.
- Ensure that you have included costs for all items and/or activities that are needed to implement your grant, if awarded.
- Have all application fields, or questions, been answered?
- Ask a colleague who is not involved with the actual writing of the grant to proofread your application.
- Make sure that all facts and figures are accurate throughout the entire application.
SUBMITTING PREPARER INFORMATION
FEMA requires that all applicants disclose the name, address and contact information of the person or organization, to include contracted grant writers, who are responsible for preparing the application. Please ensure that this information is accurate at the time of submission. As a reminder, all applicants must attest that all information contained within the application, including preparer information, to be true, complete, and accurate to the best of your knowledge. If you contract with a grant writer, and they either refuse, or provide advice to not list them in the preparer information section of the application, please notify the SAFER program office.
HAVE LAST-MINUTE QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS?
If you have last-minute questions about applying for a SAFER grant, or are having technical problems with the electronic application, call the Help Desk at 1-866-274-0960 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.The Help Desk staff will be on hand Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. ET to help applicants through the end of the application period.
- Having computer or technical problems? Late submissions will not be accepted even if due to problems such as expired passwords or technical malfunctions. If you are having a problem submitting your application, you must report the problem to the Help Desk before the application deadline of Friday, March 12 at 5 p.m. ET.
- Formal submission of the completed application is required. Many applications appear to be complete but have not been officially submitted into the FEMA GO system. No application will be processed automatically or considered for funding unless the applicant properly submits the request and receives a subsequent e-mail confirmation.
- FEMA GO automatically records proof of timely submission and the system generates an electronic date/time stamp when FEMA GO successfully receives the application. The individual with the Authorized Organization Representative (AOR) role that submitted the application will also receive the official date/time stamp and a FEMA GO tracking number in an email serving as proof of their timely submission on the date and time that FEMA GO received the application. Applications received by FEMA GO after the extended application submission deadline will be considered late and will not be considered for funding.