APPLICATION PERIOD DATES ANNOUNCED FOR THE FY 2019 STAFFING FOR ADEQUATE FIRE AND EMERGENCY RESPONSE (SAFER) GRANTS
The FY 2019 SAFER application period will open on Monday, April 13, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. ET and will close on Friday, May 15, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. ET.
Start planning your FY 2019 SAFER Grant application now by reviewing the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) and Economic Hardship Waivers Information Bulletin (IB). Additional technical assistance tools will be available on our website soon. These tools were produced specifically to help potential applicants begin to plan their 2019 applications ahead of the application period. These documents can be viewed on the AFGP website or downloaded to your computer.
- Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)
- Economic Hardship Waivers
- Self-Evaluation – Hiring of Firefighters
- Career, combination, and volunteer fire departments
- Self-Evaluation – Recruitment and Retention – Fire Departments
- Combination and volunteer fire departments
- SAFER Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Self-Evaluation – Recruitment and Retention – Interest Organizations
- National, State, Local, or Tribal Volunteer Firefighters Interest Organizations
- Recruitment and Retention – Request Details Description Instructions
- This document will provide Recruitment and Retention applicants with a list of the categories and sub-category available in the application as well as information on the level of details needed for each budget line item.
SAFER Grants Help Desk: If you have questions about the technical assistance tools listed below, call or e-mail the SAFER Grants help Desk. The toll-free number is 1-866-274-0960; the e-mail address for questions is email@example.com.
FY 2019 SAFER LIVE WEBINARS
FEMA will host live Adobe Connect webinars to provide an overview of the FY 2019 SAFER Grant Program, including both the Hiring of Firefighters activity and the Recruitment and Retention of Volunteer Firefighters activity. The presentations will outline important information and reminders about cost share requirements (hiring activity), program priorities, eligible costs, how to navigate the grant application, and tips for preparing a SAFER application. FEMA Fire Program Specialists will be available to answer your questions.
SAFER Webinar Schedule:
|Topic||Day of Week||Date||Time|
|FY 2019 SAFER Hiring of Firefighters Activity||Wednesday||04/15/2020||2:00 pm – 4:00 pm ET|
|FY 2019 SAFER Recruitment and Retention Activity||Thursday||04/16/2020||2:00 pm – 4:00 pm ET|
|FY 2019 SAFER Recruitment and Retention Activity||Wednesday||04/22/2020||2:00 pm – 4:00 pm ET|
|FY 2019 SAFER Hiring of Firefighters Activity||Thursday||04/23/2020||2:00 pm – 4:00 pm ET|
|FY 2019 SAFER Hiring of Firefighters Activity||Wednesday||04/29/2020||2:00 pm – 4:00 pm ET|
|FY 2019 SAFER Recruitment and Retention Activity||Thursday||04/30/2020||2:00 pm – 4:00 pm ET|
Webinar sessions will be broadcast using an Adobe Connect webinar link. We suggest that you save this link to your browser’s favorites. The Adobe Connect webinar can be found at https://fema.connectsolutions.com/fy2019safer/
To access the webinar follow these steps:
- Click on the webinar link;
- Select “enter as a guest” and provide your name and your department’s name. Click on enter the room;
- Agree to the terms of the Adobe Connect system, Click on “OK”.
There is no call-in number for the webinars; audio will be through the Adobe Connect link.
If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before you may test your connection and audio at https://fema.connectsolutions.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm
Not sure if the webinar is working on your computer? Test your webinar access now by signing in as a guest, just visit: https://fema.connectsolutions.com/fy2019safer/
SAM.GOV REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED TO APPLY AND RECEIVE GRANTS
The FY 2019 SAFER application period will open Monday, April 13 at 8:00am ET. All eligible applicants must be registered and active in the System for Award Management (SAM) before you can both begin and submit an application. FEMA may not make an award to an entity until the entity has complied with the requirements to provide a valid DUNS number and maintain an active SAM.gov registration with current information. SAM.gov consolidates federal procurement systems and the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA). To register, or validate your information, please visit: https://www.sam.gov/SAM/
SAM.gov Registration Tips:
Please ensure the following items are current in SAM and the DUNS number used in SAM is the same one you use for all FEMA applications:
- Organization’s name
- Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS)
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Banking information (type of account (checking or saving), routing number, and account number
- Many websites may look official in appearance but are not. As a reminder, registration in the SAM.gov is FREE
- SAM.gov registration is only active for one year and must be renewed annually.
- This information should be consistent in all registration documents
Should you need assistance with your SAM.gov account, there are several ways to get help:
- Submit your SAM.gov question online to the Federal Service Help Desk at https://www.fsd.gov/fsd-gov/home.do
- Call the Federal Service Help Desk toll free at (866) 606 – 8220
- Quick Start Guides for Grant Registrations and SAM Video Tutorial for New Applicants are tools created by the General Services Administration to assist those registering with the System for Award Management (SAM).
If you have questions or concerns about your SAM.gov registration, please contact the Federal Support desk at https://www.fsd.gov
Submitting Preparer Information
FEMA requires that all applicants identify any individual or organization that assisted with the development, preparation, or review of the application to include drafting or writing the narrative and budget, whether that person, entity, or agent is compensated or not and whether the assistance took place prior to submitting the application. Please ensure that this information is accurate at the time of submission. As a reminder, all applicants must attest that all information contained within the application, including preparer information, to be true, complete, and accurate to the best of your knowledge. If you contract with a grant writer, and they either refuse, or provide advice to not list them in the preparer information section of the application, please notify the SAFER program office.
Web Browser Information
FEMA GO is compatible with Internet Explorer (version 11 or higher), Firefox (version 73 or higher), or Chrome (version 80 or higher). Users who attempt to use tablet type devices or other browsers may encounter issues with using FEMA GO.